Tuesday, January 10, 2017

"Art Deco Coffee Pot" still life painting by Robin Weiss

"Art Deco Coffee Pot"  7x7 oil on panel    Sold


I've talked in previous posts about how I came about acquiring this silver tea set at the thrift store in LaConnor.  It's a very enjoyable challenge for me to try and capture the light and reflection and the exceptional design of these vessels.


I began this painting as I usually do, washing the panel with a Burnt Sienna color. Then I use a "Drawing Brush" to sketch in a line drawing, sometimes using a cropping aid. Then with a 1/2 inch flat or bright Mongoose hair brush I will work out values lightening it with yellow or using a bit of Ultramarine for the dark areas.

When I get everything where I want it I will go in with color , observing closely the relationship between the light and dark areas, the soft and hard edges and where I can lose an edge.


4 comments:

Lavon said...

thanks for the mini-lesson! after I get things settled with my mom I will doing painting "class" for a friend of mine. I have several "lessons" from various artists I love and also the 100's of classes I have taken over the years.

Jean Ranstrom said...

What is your cropping tool ? Thanks for process you follow, helpful; for us FOLLOWERS,!

Robin Weiss said...

Glad to be of help Lavon!! You are doing great!

Robin Weiss said...

Hi Jean, I am talking about L shaped mat board that you can adjust to the size format you are painting on with paper clips and then viewing your subject through the opening to aid in cropping your view.

There are also various viewing aids you can but commercially. My favorite is called the "View Catcher" and you can get it at Jerry's for about $10

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/drawing-illustration/perspective-tools/view-catcher/view-catcher

Hope that helps Jean! Thanks for commenting!